Saturday, January 9, 2010
Finished in the nick of time...
I worked feverishly to finish this during the past week so I could scan it and get a show entry in the mail. I took the reference photo for this several years ago but needed some time to think it through technically. And of course, many other "must-do" paintings got in the queue along the way. Once I got started, I had a great time and I'm really happy with the finished painting.
Here's a shot of the painting right after I removed all the masking. I had masked some areas at the very start, poured/brushed a warm underpainting, and then masked those areas too. I used the warm colors as a guide, but as you can see from the finished painting, they were just a rough version of the final colors. This painting involved re-masking some areas several times to protect them from subsequent paint application (check out the finished moon and star in closeup).
Hope you enjoy the painting. I'll be back with more information on masking fluid and techniques in a couple of days.