Monday, January 4, 2010
What a difference a day makes...
I went to bed last night sure that I'd lost this painting -- poured washes hadn't worked the way I expected and . . . well, let's just say "mistakes were made." I hate that feeling.
But I don't have time to start over on this, so I decided to proceed with the next pour this morning and make the best of it. This pour happily covered the problems I'd created for myself yesterday and has added some funky "special effects" -- I'm back on track!! I may do another wash over parts of the painting before I remove the masking, but I no longer have that sinking feeling that I've wasted all my efforts so far.
What you see is a tiny section of the painting, with a fair amount of residual paint on the masked areas. I'll clean that off a bit before I remove the masking, but because I used Incredible White Mask on most of the larger areas, I should be able to pull it off in sheets once I get a corner started. That largely eliminates the problem of rubbing paint off the masking and onto the open paper.
As you can see, I masked over a poured first layer of paint, rather than preserving white paper, and I will be enhancing and modifying the color as needed after I remove the masking. Stay tuned!!
I'm also planning to do another post in the next few days on variations in masking techniques. Be sure to stop by for the continuing tutorial.