As you can see, I'm not progressing with any great speed on this. I added some stronger color to the body and also did the first washes on the beak and crest. I generally mix up a couple of puddles of color when I'm working on an area with shading and often use two brushes, switching back and forth to model the form. But I also freely mix in additional pigment if I'm not getting the results I want, so it ends up being a little more spontaneous process most of the time. The shading on the beak looks quite harsh right now, but I'll add more form and refine the details in subsequent washes.
For those who are interested, I've used new gamboge, cobalt blue, cobalt green, quinacridone gold, quinacridone sienna, brown madder, winsor violet, and french ultramarine blue. The blue shadows under the beak are a bit more subdued than this photo suggests and will be further deepened before I'm finished.